?

Log in

No account? Create an account
tonight today yesterday tomorrow - Terrafactive Armageddon

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

URLs of convenience
Google Shared
Amazon wishlist
friends
more friends
even more friends
posting
Cat macros

July 12th, 2004


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
11:22 pm - tonight today yesterday tomorrow
Spending the evening sticking music on my computer. It is kind of an odd exercise, since it has been a while since I listened to many of my cds. Years, in some cases - part laziness, part ancient stereo equipment that was inconvenient (purchased 1984) and slightly less ancient but nevertheless no good at streaming any damn thing computer, and part... I don't know. Overstimulation? Plenty of music (or at least noise) present in my life already? Who knows. I will be entertained to see how much (or little) space on my iPod the entire collection takes up, in the end.

Yesterday afternoon was a pleasant interlude playing games with Tim A. and grouchychris. Ok, part of it was pleasant, and part of it was kind of irritating, because we played Illuminati - yes, I went against my better judgement, faintheart - and I hate being ganged up on, which is nigh inevitable .

On the other hand, Tim showed up with a game that was new to me called Set, where you match patterns on cards (to make sets, duh) that I enjoyed well enough to offset my later illuminated irkedness. We only played one game, which made me sad as for once i was doing quite well.

Watching myself and my reactions yesterday, and while playing NWN in Nordock, I've come to the conclusion that I don't play well with others. Not so much in the usual sense as much as I find I tend to stick to doing things and strategies that I can accomplish alone. I'm reluctant to join parties on Nordock, for no good reason usually. I hate the 'ganging-up' aspects of Illuminati and Cosmic Encounter, and it's rare for me to solicit help. My biggest complaint about the Stone puzzle game is you can't solve many (most, for me) of the puzzles alone, you usually need a couple of perspectives, and I tend to find it both galling and difficult to ask for aid. Oh, and I have a bad habit of bearing grudges.

Anyway, I think I'm going to get a copy of Set for myself. It's a card game, and is just as easily played solitare as not...

(10 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:sculpin
Date:July 12th, 2004 11:30 pm (UTC)
(Link)
You might enjoy the Set Daily Puzzle.
[User Picture]
From:cithra
Date:July 13th, 2004 12:43 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Thank you! I did indeed. In fact I meant to answer this last night, except I got sucked into playing around on the website...
[User Picture]
From:sculpin
Date:July 13th, 2004 01:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Heh heh. I'd hoped as much!
[User Picture]
From:holyoutlaw
Date:July 13th, 2004 02:08 am (UTC)
(Link)
Set is fun. It took me a long time to get the hang of it.
From:amnotsurly
Date:July 13th, 2004 08:02 am (UTC)
(Link)
That makes me sad. I don't like Illuminati because all the adding and subtracting can get tedious and bog the game down, and there are long stretches with nothing to do. Illuminati with Tim sounds like it would be as fun as Roborally with Tim. I kind of like all the backstabbing, but there is a meanness to it that can take the fun out when you are playing with people who don't like that sort of play.

I guess I disagree about cosmic encounter, though. For some reason the ganging up never feels personal to me. Also, it is not usually as effective as in Illuminati. (Of course, I think of cosmic as just about the best boardgame ever (the skill, the twists, the turns, the power interactions, the fact that you can win the game without ever winning a showdown, and with none of your home bases, the fact that there is something for everyone to do all the time...) so it's no surprise that I would disagree).

How do you feel about games like Clue? (Lots of player interaction, in the sense that you have to pay attention to what is going on all the time even when it's not your turn, but no ganging up or cooperating.)
From:amnotsurly
Date:July 13th, 2004 08:03 am (UTC)
(Link)
Also, I don't like to party up in Nordock either, but that's mainly because the NWN party system is a big pile of suck. Lots of waiting around, and I get less experience and loot.
[User Picture]
From:uly
Date:July 13th, 2004 08:48 am (UTC)
(Link)
That's because none of us can keep up with you, and you don't need anyone else's help.

Most powerful 1st level rogue I've ever seen...
[User Picture]
From:cithra
Date:July 13th, 2004 01:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I have to laugh, because my experience tends to be that I can't keep up with the party, and I get less experience and loot.

Often I simply don't think to ask, unless it is something I know I can't handle by myself (up to the polar bears and back, for example). I'm kind of amused to find out just how deep my streak of anti-joining lonerism runs - I had always assumed that I would be more gregarious in an online setting, where people didn't have a chance to be put off by my physical attributes. But I find I'm just as iconoclastic there, in terms of resisting talking to people I don't know, even NPCs. Hi-ho, look, Joy's a freak *yawn*...

[User Picture]
From:cithra
Date:July 13th, 2004 12:41 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I like Cosmic Encounter, maybe that wasn't clear. In part because many of the 'mean' things done are a direct result of instructions from the game - for example, you don't choose who you attack, you draw a card. So that part isn't personal, even a little. I think having more people in CE helps as well in terms of 'sharing the wealth'.

I am sure personality affects my perception of play, as well. If it had been you and Chris and I instead, I probably would have felt less ganged up on because I am more confident of your style of game-play and your rules of alliance...

Clue is fun on occasion, but I find the mechanics of game play a bit tedious. The logic problem is the interesting part, and all the futzing around with dice to get to a particular square/room can get just plain annoying.

I like matching games. Pictionary, crosswords, Set, Scrabble, Apples to Apples - they all involve making patterns and associations out of a particular set of data you are handed. Sometimes the field is wide open (Apples to Apples, where Hitler can be the Most Cuddly Thing); sometimes it is more structured - like Scrabble or crossword puzzles, where you are limited to a particular set of letters and contexts. On the other hand, these are all games that tend not to be very collaboratory, even in team play. Which leads me back essentially to where I started.
[User Picture]
From:sharkins
Date:July 13th, 2004 02:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I (heart) set. It's one of the few competetive games, okay, few games at all, that I enjoy.

As I was walking around campus today I was amused to think about how long I've been a loner. Even as a kid I was a loner amongst my siblings. The three of them would all hang out together, while I was invariably alone in my room reeading. So now I'm wondering, does being a bookworm == being a loner?

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com